Fashion Fits Everyone. Volume 48.

1.08.2015

IMG_0331
"Once upon a time, there was a girl who tried to be the carbon copy of society's expectations. She would buy tops-- that she would wear once and never touch again-- simply because she saw them on the cover of her latest Teen Vogue. She hated shopping. It was boring. But, she went to the mall anyways. Her wallet may have decreased but her closet grew and that pretty much balanced her happiness equilibrium out. Right? Right? It didn't matter that her Instagram models were petite, rail thin, and boobless and she was not. She ignored her figure. She only wanted to be trendy or dare I say "hipster." Yes, yes, yes, I'm sure we all have been here. And, yes, yes, yes, that was me.
These past few years have  changed me. Well, maybe change isn't quite the right word. It might better be described as the blossoming, refining, and cocoon shedding we go through when we move out of our childhood home. (YAY FOR GROWING UP!)  Grown up Katie picked up the matra of: having less, spending less, and using less. Basically, I have learned not to do anything I don't want to do. There are millions of people and opportunities in the world. You control your schedule. You control your focus. You control you.  And maybe my preferences haven't changed but I've learned to say no to things that don't quite fit that. Similarly, my closet has undergone that transformation. THIS IS ACTUALLY NOT EASY.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.” -E.F. Schumacher (1911)
I knew that I didn't like baggy t-shirts with obscure words, flannels, and combat boots. I longed for Kate Middleton-esque, pretty, and powerful. It took a little piece of my fashionista heart but I eventually threw out my crazy wardrobe. So, instead of being lined with the new, the trendy, the hip, my closet is currently filled with classic pieces. I have a collection of quality jackets, blazers, button ups, t-shirts, dresses, jeans, leggings, boots, and sweaters that I know look good on my figure. Becoming more minimalist wasn't easy. However, clothing that reflects my personality, preferences, ambitions and figure makes my life easy.
Now, I know what you're probably thinking: BORING! I get it. I get it. Fashion is fun. Fashion SHOULD be fun. I'd like to call my style "class with a little sass!" So, once or twice a year, I will add a few FUN pieces. For example, this year I picked up a cheetah print belt, patterned scarf, and wine colored ankle boots. Last year, I added leather leggings, romper, and statement necklace. I use these pieces to create variety in my combinations. I try to never wear the same arrangement twice in a month. (Yes, to keep it fresh but also because laundry only gets done at about that rate. OPPS! *Cue Christina Perry's "Only Human")
Fashion"S" fit everyone. Never mind Pinterest, Instagram models, or magazines, the clothes you put on everyday should make you feel like the person you want to become."
- Katie from Katelyn Strobel
Interested in being a part of Fashion Fits Everyone? Email deidreemme@gmail.com with the subject Fashion Fits Everyone and we will get you scheduled.


© Deidre Emme. Design by Fearne and Breezy & Co.