The 10 Things You Don't Hear About Marriage || Her Side

10.17.2012

There are things no one will ever EVER tell you about getting married. They will tell you marriage is tough. They will tell you marriage is work. But they will never tell you the specifics. Well. I am here today to tell you a few of the specifics. Because after a few months of marriage and a few dozen marriage mistakes... Adam and I are learning. And what are we learning? We are learning that marriage is everything we would have hoped for plus a few surprises along the way. Here are the ten things (so far) that I sort of knew but  didn't know at all about getting married.

  1. You will have to buy twice... if not three times as many groceries. I used to be able to buy one loaf of bread and a gallon of milk for a month and it would usually go bad before I could use it all. Now I have to buy SIX loaves of bread in a month... and x, y, and z of everything else!
  2. Credit cards are exciting. And dangerous. A budget has never been more important than at this very moment.
  3. You can no longer watch your "shows" like... Gossip Girl, The Bachelorette, or Glee without the following comments, "This show is so predictable," or "This show is so inappropriate!" or "This show is so unrealistic." among many other things you have said to yourself but have ignored because they are your shows!
  4. Boys are a lot more particular about your clothes than you would think... "You cant hang that, the neck will get stretched out." ... "Those are darks, not lights!" ... "I don't fold that."
  5. Not only are they particular about their clothes... but keep in mind, the laundry doubles. Which means laundry must be done more. And sometimes it means more sorting. And sometimes it means being careful when you wash clothes so you don't turn something white pink. Sorry Adam. I didn't realize those red pants would still be releasing dye when I washed them.
  6. If someone says they will clean up later... they might. But they also might not. Which means you either have to pester them until it gets done or you have to do it yourself.
  7. There are different methods to cleaning. Sometimes someone hides treats in the oven. Which leads me to my next point...
  8. Always check the over before turning it on.
  9. You will always feel guilty about wanting to buy new clothes. Before I was married I was like, "Hey... I worked hard this week. I deserve new shirt." Now I have to confess to Adam I even THOUGHT about buying new clothes... because it is now our budget.
  10. Being in love and learning together has never been so exciting. And even though there is so much to learn and experience, and even more to stress about... someone is always there through every moment. And doesn't that make it better?
Love,
Deidre

P.S. Don't forget to check out Adam's response.... what does he think this is?! A presidential debate!?
Happy Bean said...

Mrs. Skinny, you couldn't be more true! I am dying!! Totally sharing this with my man tonight... #3 and #8 are my favorite!

happierbean.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

I totally agree with everything you mentioned! When we first got married Aaron starved because I thought that I just had to cook 3x as much food as when I was single. Nope. Try 5 or 6x as much food as a single lady would eat.
Ridiculous.

Whitney@SomethingBroughtYouHere said...

Marriage is definitely a learning process but it is so amazing. I remember when we first got married and realizing how much hubby REALLY ate and how much groceries I had to buy. I used to joke that there was just the two of us but I had to cook dinner for a family of six. Oh, and just wait until you add a baby to the mix...your laundry will quadruple. Basically, laundry is never ending!
XO,
Whitney

Erin said...

This is amazing!!! Great specifics and I totally nodded along with all of them. I had no idea how much my man really eats, lol... and he's not a big guy!! And I ALWAYS have to ask, do you fold this? hang it up? oh that goes in a separate drawer?! Haha!

The Millers said...

This is such a cute post. I totally agree with all of this. Marriage is such a fun, exciting journey :)

Britni Alexis said...

Loved this post! Marriage is a little bit of work but it really is the greatest thing ever!

Whitney Leigh said...

I'm lucky my husband hasn't learned the oven trick. We might have a situation at hand. But it's so true. you hit the nail on the head. ten times. :)

Also, to answer your question from yesterday, I did dye my hair. Well, I dyed the bangs to match my hair, but I left it on a little too long so I had to dye my hair to match the bangs. haha

tyshaclements said...

This is hilarious! I seriously just died! And I could not help but literally laugh out loud when I read #3 haha. That is so Kyle! :)

Unknown said...

Dear The Skinnys,
After reading this post, I would assume we could be BFFs. I have been married for over ten years and I have learned a lot. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I have continued to learn all the time. Buying a lot of groceries isn't the half of it for us. Its haveing an organized meal plan for dinners. I have completely slacked and my other half is pretty upset about it. Still learning.
I'm a new follower from the follow me wednesdays hop and I'm looking forward to getting to know you more. :o) Esther Norine Designs

Eesh said...

Haha yes! I'm not married as yet but what you've listed is so true when you think about it. Guess I'll have to buy as many clothing as possible now! LOL just kidding!

Great post!

xx

Anonymous said...

ok...yeah! Ugh! bah...so many emotions right now! Joe always predicts my shows, and at first I was like "shush silly you are going to ruin it!" Now I just get pissed because he is always right and it totally ruins the drama for me :( And laundry and food never happened before I was married. All I want in life is a washing machine and a dishwasher!

Unknown said...

awesome!! I remember those days!! I love how you are so cool about it. :)

Anonymous said...

Totally hit it on the head with the shows thing--my husband drives me crazy with that! Another thing I discovered is that men don't know that there is a difference between having shampoo and conditioner separate and using 2-in-1--"but it's cheaper to just get 2-in-1!" haha

Anonymous said...

These are all so true!! The shopping guilt does wear of though after some time...beware!! :)

Michelle said...

Love!!! 100% true :)

Janette said...

Oh my gosh! Soo true! And who uses ovens for storage? Sounds like my mom.. she does that and I swore none of that would be happening in my home..Off to read your husbands..


♥Janette
http://janettethejongleur.blogspot.com

Erin @ Come What May said...

The food thing is so true! I used to make a big meal once or twice a week and eat it as leftovers the whole week. When we got married I though if I made the same amount for a meal we'd be fine and I'd still have leftovers for at least one day. Um, no! It was never enough food! It's been almost a year and I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that 5 meals for me doesn't even cover dinner...

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just met you through a blog hop, and you are so, so, right! On the marriage thing, I mean. And, there are so, so, SO very many things people will not tell you about what it's like to have children. Like sometimes you will have a baby that doesn't want to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time, and will only take a nap in the afternoon for like, 4 months of their life! And some children do NOT like to go to bed at night, as in, they are night owls. And that, my friend, means you have to get more creative to get that alone time with your spouse, which is so very important to keep your marriage alive and fun, and the way God intended marriage! Wow, didn't mean to write a novel here, lol! By the way, I just became your newest follower, yay! Would be so appreciative if you would reciprocate and follow back. Looking forward to getting to know you better!

Anonymous said...

Me again! Sorry, I forgot to mention with that long novel I typed (sorry again!) that I am having an Heirloom Seeds giveaway, over on my blog. It ends Tuesday night. Feel free to drop by and enter!

Liz Slater said...

New follower from the Sunday Social.

One comment on #3 - having been married 12 years, you're absolutely right. My advice, if possible to let you enjoy your shows in peace get two TVs BUT do NOT put one in the bedroom (that's for other things, not TV :) Also even if you are not interested in your SOs show but don't have something you want to watch that night, stay in the same room - read a book, blog, fold laundry whatever. Sometimes those digs at each other's shows/interests are useful. And besides, too much separation is not good for a marriage.

Oh, and you're absolutely right about the credit cards, we're slowly digging our way out of serious debt after wanting to keep up with everyone else.

Patricia B in France said...

I totally know how you feel about buying clothes! I always hesitate before buying something now, since it's both of our money. I've been reading your blog for a while now. I just hadn't had the courage to comment yet. Love your writing style!

Bisous (xoxo) from France!
Patricia
The DIY Frenchie

Unknown said...

I can't stop laughing...this is so true! Especially being on a budget and feeling guilty for wanting to buy new clothes! Such a cute post :) Thanks for sharing!

katilda said...

....if I check my oven, will there magically be a treat in there right now?

Amberly said...

Yes about the TV shows! Joe always comments on how predictable things are, and when I watch Bachelor/Bachelorette, he can't stop watching but he also won't stop laughing at how dramatic it is.

#6 I completely understand! I've had to start asking Joe, "When is later?"

I love #7 hahahaha, who would hide treats in the oven? That's a new one. Have you ever seen The Middle. She leaves her youngest son home one day and he uses the oven, but he doesn't think to check before they turn it on and that's where she stores her quilts, so they all burn hahaha. In there house NOBODY uses the oven, so she's baffled.

Joe hates it when I buy new clothes, I can always justify it, and then there's him who won't even buy new socks if his all have holes in them, because he doesn't feel like we have enough money for something like that (even though we have more than enough hahaha)

LOVE THIS!!!! I need to go find all of your marriage posts obviously!



© Deidre Emme. Design by Fearne and Breezy & Co.