We've Been Drafted!

6.10.2013

If you follow me on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook - you've already seen the big news... but if you haven't. Here it it.

After all of the anxiety and all of the waiting, Adam has officially been drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks! We are so excited for what the future has in store for us. After a few conversations with his scout, his advisor, and his coach, we feel confident that this is going to be a great place for Adam. He has worked hard and now he gets to go out and show all the people (especially those that doubted him for being "too old" and married) what he has to offer.

Saturday was a crazy day. We drove up to Solider Hollow with my brothers to run the dirty dash - we've been planning on it for months - but sadly, Adam didn't get to race with us. He had to sit it out and be with his phone. It probably took a little pressure off of him to not have me hovering every time a scout called to discuss options and when they were thinking of picking him. So at 11:40 I took off with my brothers and friends to run in the mud. While I was out Adam had been on the phone with his agent and scouts from the Angels, Pirates, and Mets... and of course, the Diamondbacks. By the time I returned Adam had been drafted and was waiting to tell me the news. (The very first thing I did was look up the logo and try to buy a hat... I am still on the lookout for a good one.)  The rest of the day was full of congratulations, phone calls with his new team, working out details for our new adventure, and gaining knowledge on what happens next from people that have experienced it before. Life is taking a turn for us - so let me answer all the questions you might have - based on the questions people are have asked.

Are you moving to Arizona?
We aren't moving to Arizona... not yet at least. Since Adam will be jumping around from team to team over the next little while and I have a really solid job here in Utah, it doesn't make sense for me to follow him around. I will keep working in Utah, take trips to wherever Adam is playing, and we will look for a time in the future when it makes sense for us to both live in Arizona.

Has Adam graduated from BYU?
Adam has not graduated yet. He is studying Psychology at BYU and has about 2 semesters left of his undergraduate. That is another reason we won't be moving. The Diamondbacks offered to pay for the rest of Adam's undergraduate degree as part of is signing bonus. In the off season he will come back to Utah and finish his degree.

When does he leave?
This is the worst part... Adam leaves on WEDNESDAY! So we have a few days to get in all our summer fun in Utah. And then I will come visit when I can. He leaves Wednesday to head down to the D-backs spring training facility. While he is down there he will get a physical, meet the other guys that are getting drafted, workout, and then everyone that is placed on Adam's rookie ball team will get shipped out about five days after that.

Where will he be playing this summer?
Adam will be playing in Missoula, Montana this summer. His team is the Missoula Osprey. Which I am THRILLED about. It is one of the best situations for us. He is in the Pioneer League - and with that he gets to come to play in Idaho Falls, ID Ogden, UT and Orem, UT over the next few months. That gives me a lot more opportunity to see him. We are very blessed to have been drafted be a west coast team - otherwise he might have been in Florida all summer... and I wouldn't have seen him much at all.

Will he be playing for the Diamondbacks?
That is the goal! I am sure we will have a better idea of Adam's standing with the team after the summer, but eventually Adam will be playing in the bigs. He has to work his way up through the minor league system like everyone else. The D-backs MiLB teams are in Montana, Oregon, Indiana, California, Alabama, and Nevada - once he battles his way through the minor league teams he will end up in Arizona playing with the Diamondbacks!

We are excited for this opportunity. And we cannot WAIT to see how this summer goes. I will miss Adam a lot, like a lot a lot... but this is something he has worked his whole life for. Since before I was around. And we have discussed this as an option since we were dating, which has helped me prepare for this very moment. And when it came down to it and he got the phone call - we re-visited if him playing professional baseball was still an option. He told me he didn't have to go. And it came down to me, and I told him he had to go... It is an incredible opportunity for Adam. To play baseball and do something that he loves. I cannot wait to support him and go through this incredible journey. We are too young to make a mistake, we are young enough to gain experience... and that is exactly what we are going to do. If you have other questions don't hesitate to ask. We are excited to share our journey with you. Oh... and if you are in the area - let me know, I need some new friends and hobbies. CONGRATULATIONS ADAM! We are all SO proud of you and of all you have accomplished.

P.S. Congratulations to Adam's teammates who also got drafted. Jacob Hanneman to the Cubs, Adam Law to the Dodgers, and Jaycob Brugman to the A's.
Unknown said...

Yay! Congrats! You will have to let me know when he's playing here so we can go watch too. Also, I'm in the area...

Julann said...

This is so very awesome and I love your dedication and enthusiasm you have! Such a great example of a couple! Congratulations to you both!

Amanda Schroeder said...

This is amazing!! I'm so excited for you guys! Congratulations. It'll be hard to have him away, but hey, you & I live close, let's do something? Also, does this mean you'll be coming on Saturday? I sure hope so! Tell him congrats for me! He deserves it through all that hard work!


we&serendipity

Meghan said...

I know I just started reading your blog, but I am so excited for Adam and you too!

Autumn @ The Unreal Life said...

WOO HOO so happy for you two!

BREI said...

Congrats! So awesome he will be living his dream!

Kimberly said...

Congrats! My husband (Adam!) is a huge baseball fan, always making me watch, so if I have even a little connection to a team (like I read the blog of the wife of a player who got drafted by the Diamond Backs. . . ) it makes it way more interesting. :)

Steve Vawdrey said...

Congratulations!!! I hope to be able to see Adam play when he's back in Utah.

Jessica Ashcroft said...

Yay! That is so exciting! So happy for you both :)

A Muse in Purple said...

SOO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! Can't wait to see him play in the big league's, congratulations!!

Cece @Mahogany Drive said...

Sooooo excited for him! How awesome is that? It's a wonderful opportunity and of course you have to take those as they come. The minors will be hard work but it will be worth it!!

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

Amazing!! That is so cool! Congrats to you guys!

RH said...

Sooooo awesome! Such great news!! :)Congratulations to the both of you!!

The Millers said...

Wahooooo! I am so happy for you guys! I can give you tips on being away from your hubby... hard stuff! But seriously, so exciting!

Kaylee said...

Oh wow, CONGRATS! So excited for the new adventure for you two!!

Robyn Lee said...

Congrats! That is so amazing for him. I love baseball, to the point where when I was married we went to an MLB game. Best of luck!

www.lovinleelife.blogspot.com

Kylee said...

This is so cool! Congratulations!

Hailey. said...

Oh my gosh!!!!!! Congrats to Adam and to you!!!! This is soooo exciting!!!!! I LOVE watching baseball and I can't imagine how great it will be for you to watch him in the big leagues! :) I think it is so great how supportive you both are of each other. Good luck with all the fun adventures ahead!!

The Jessa Olson Blog said...

Congrats again! I am soo happy for you guys. I can't wait for him to come down and cheer for him. If you are ever in AZ let me know and I can show you around. SO many great places. CongratS!!

Elizabeth Kelsey Bradley said...

I am soooo happy for you guys!!!

Unknown said...

this is so exciting! congrats!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the baseball world!! Trust me... this life isnt easy but it definitely has its ups and is totally worth it! My husband played at BYU years ago and he is now working through the Reds organization. We're actually in AZ right now. Hope you enjoy this little journey you two have started.... :)

NadiaThinks said...

Congratulations!!!

I am so excited for you both! Saw the news on Instagram but just got around to reading the blogpost.

It's going to be an amazing unforgettable journey and I hope you love every moment. I live in Phoenix and love it -- walking to the games is so fun and I hope y'all get to have lots of fun adventures together!!!

Unknown said...

That's SO cool! Congrats, and how wonderful that they want him to finish his education as well.



© Deidre Emme. Design by Fearne and Breezy & Co.