Find A Girl Who...

5.08.2014

My wife and I are approaching twenty-one months of being married. She is a Banquet Manager at a fancy Marriott Hotel in downtown Phoenix. I am a minor league pitcher trying to fulfill a lifelong dream. Due to my career choice, my wife and I are unable to spend the summer months together. The financial situation doesn’t permit. After having been apart for multiple months of our marriage, I have come to the conclusion that I have married the most perfect girl for me. I have also come to the realization that when choosing with whom to spend the rest of your life and forever with, not every person is a perfect fit.

Before I continue, I want to claim that I am no expert in marriage. BUT, from my perspective, there are characteristics that my wife possesses that make being married the best experience of my life. So, for all you bachelors out there, feel free to use these tips how you wish when considering who to date and who to marry.


Find a girl who makes you second: The most attractive characteristic of my wife is the fact that I am second in her life. God and Jesus Christ are first and I wouldn’t have it any other way. Knowing that she has her mind and priorities set on something beyond this life has made all the difference in our marriage.

Choose a girl who makes you second in her life. You will come to appreciate it when times get tough. Heck, coming in second to God and Christ aint a bad finish at all.

Find a girl who makes you better: The purpose of marriage is to become better together. There is no point in dating a girl who doesn’t make that better and who easily falls for cheesy pick up lines from every other guy.. Constructive comments? Learn it. Uplifting remarks? Do it. Couple analysis? Love it. At the end of the day, there is no better feeling than looking back on a relationship and realizing how much you have progressed as a person and as a couple.

Feeling like you have to constantly win a girl over, not because she is dating fifteen other guys, but because she is that big of a ‘keeper’, its pretty awesome.

Find a girl who is frugal with money: When was the last time I saw my wife wearing designer jeans? Never. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing to have designer jeans. But, it is nice to know my wife understands that at this point in our marriage, expensive things aren’t important. Having a wife who is able to analyze purchases from all angles has paid huge dividends already in our short marriage.

If you are dating a girl who has food as her number one expense, she definitely passes the ‘frugal’ check.

Find a girl who has hobbies: A girl who has hobbies is like finding vanilla ice cream at the bottom of your snow cone…Clutch! My wife has, what I consider, the coolest blog around. It helps her create relationships with people, in addition to the millions she already has (no lie, she has more friends than anybody I’ve ever met). It’s something that helps her take her mind off work at the end of the day.

A girl who has hobbies makes a relationship and marriage so much better. If anything, find a girl who has a bucket list and puts some effort in to checking things off.

Find a girl who has dreams and aspirations: Since the day my wife and I got married, she has maintained her personal dreams and aspirations as well as those she had for when she got married. The fact that my wife continues to dream and work towards those dreams is one of the most attractive things about her. Just because we got married doesn’t change the fact that she wants to travel around the world.

The nice thing guys, is that when you aren’t cooperating, maybe a hobby will until you decide to. It’s a plus.


Dating and marriage is one of the best things in life. What makes it better is when you are dating the right person. As I said, I am no marriage expert. I have an amazing marriage and thought I’d share some attributes of my significant other that has made our marriage so awesome.


© Deidre Emme. Design by Fearne and Breezy & Co.