Business Professional

9.25.2013

One thing I really love about my job is business dress. I mean, I love planning event and I love that I love my job. I am happy to be with the company I am. But I really do love business dress. There is something so grown up to getting up every morning and needing slacks or a blazer over a pair of jeans and a T shirt. Plus. Business dress has really helped me to expand my wardrobe. To mix and match items to become a business professional. And it has changed my shopping habits. I used to always go straight for the shirts. But now shirts are the last thing I look at. First I look for a fun pencil skirt or a stylish blazer.

Every month we have a leadership meeting for Managers and Supervisors at our property. This month's meeting was with an image consultant. She gave us ideas on how to dress for our job and how to speak/look professional. She went into a lot of details onto how much a first impression ways into the rest of the interaction. Her concepts were very eye opening. The one thing that stuck out to me most was her levels of dressing. She had four levels and the higher up you went in levels the more professional your outfit was. Being a level four meant layers (like a jacket or blazer), a collar (double collars rank you as a high four), dark contrasting colors, and for females a skirt is always higher than pants in professionalism. 


Skirt: c/o Blossom Clothing Boutique \\ Blazer: Thrifted \\ Top: SexyModest Boutique
Shoes: Forever Young (old) \\ Necklace: Bohme

She said if you are dressed as a four you are prepared to meet with any person - be it the president or a lunch meeting with your friend. And I agree. This is one of my level four outfits with my new [and FUN... who said my work outfits can't be trendy still!?] pencil skirt! What do you wear to work? What do you dress up for? What would you say is your most business professional outfit?
Autumn @ The Unreal Life said...

love this outfit!! I think it's so cool your company brought her in to talk with you all! Feel free to share any more tips and tricks she passed on ;)

I was so grateful that we had to wear "pin attire" (basically business casual with our sorority pin/badge) for our sorority every Monday in college. When I graduated and had to go on interviews and then eventually my job, it made me feel a lot less nervous knowing that I'd been practicing making those business outfit combos for four years now!

Robyn Lee said...

I love this! I just had to change jobs to work on campus in order to accommodate my class schedule, but I really miss having the excuse to wear business casual all the time. Love the pencil skirt!

www.lovinleelife.blogspot.com

Jess said...

You pull off that look so well!

P.S. Counting down the days until PLL!!

Amberly said...

I need to add more business stuff to my wardrobe :P

Alyssa at Southern Abundance said...

I love the idea of an image consultant! It sounds like you got some really good ideas and I'm really glad you shared them with us . I think my favorite piece of your outfit has to be the pencil skirt! I love the look of black with flowers :-)

Kristen Nielson at A {Kristen} Runs Through It said...

I love that skirt! It looks wonderful on you while also being very professional. Patterns are such a huge trend this fall. I think an important aspect of dressing for the work place is finding a balance between being current (so you appear "with it") and appropriate. I feel like this outfit hits that mark.

I just finished a blog post about patterns for fall. Check it out at www.akristenrunsthroughit.blogspot.com.

Thanks Diedre! You look great:)

Cece @Mahogany Drive said...

My job is cas and I love it. I don't want to put on a suit everyday so it works for me; but if I had to then ideally I would embrace it and start to love it. You look amazing! I love how a blazer can dress anything up or down.

Rachel Sayumi Porter said...

That training sounds so interesting, with I could hear it too!! I wanna be a level 4 dresser someday to! HAHA what do i wear to work... skinny jeans and a shirt and cardi, mostly. game day t-shirt if it's a football weekend. BYU BOOKSTORE FTW......

Susa said...

This reminds me of Starbucks...We get ranked higher on our reviews if we dress up and wear slacks, dress shirts, ties---so basically the boys always do better. ;) But we girls are encouraged to wear cardigans and have a business look. .....Which gets impractical, but it does look cute at first!

Unknown said...

Cute!!!! I seriously LOVE the flowers!

Unknown said...

My favorite outfit that you have worn I think.



© Deidre Emme. Design by Fearne and Breezy & Co.