The Four Points of the Crown: Style

9.09.2015

When you hear the word style, what do you think of? Generally people think of fashion, clothing, hair... all of the aesthetic parts of beauty. And I have to admit, when I first heard that style was one of the first points of the crown, that was my first thought too. Miss America has always been about being relevant. So as titleholders we follow trends and styles in our wardrobe to stay relevant. For example, when the work place started steering away from blazers and pantyhose, so did the interview portion of Miss America. When I first started competing it was unheard of to wear anything other than a nice skirt, blazer, and pantyhose. But, because Miss America doesn't want to become a "time old tradition" as business trendy became more acceptable in fortune 500s and companies around the country, it also became more acceptable in interview.

That is how I would always describe the style point of the crown when I first started competing. That as titleholders were were to keep a clean and appropriate appearance. That we were always to carry ourselves like women that had style and elegance whether in a business suit or in a workout outfit. That a titleholder is a role model and a spokesperson for the Miss America Organization, and we are expected to exemplify that in our look. But over my years competing style has become so much more.
style
style
four points of the crown style
four points of the crown style


four points of the crown style

Style does not have to be defined by the clothing I wear. It does not have to be defined by my hair style. It does not have to be defined by making sure that my clothing matches my skin tone. At the end of the day, style is defined by how I carry myself in any situation. My style shouldn't be defined by saying that I have great clothes or awesome shoes. It should be defined by how people feel when they are around me. Do I make them feel welcome? Do I make them feel special? Do I make them feel like they are worth all the time I have to offer? That is where my style comes in. In the way I treat those around me. In the way I carry myself in any situation.

A titleholder is a role model and a spokesperson for the Miss America Organization, and we are expected to exemplify that in our presence and in our poise. Our style comes from the way we represent the organization. This organization is full of women with style because they put just as much time and effort into their personality, character, and integrity as they do in any of their appearance. And that is why style is en essential point of the crown.


© Deidre Emme. Design by Fearne and Breezy & Co.