Dear Upward,

5.27.2012

Today I had the honor, I have to say honor because I know that the 2nd counselor's wife reads my blog sometimes, to talk in the first hour AND teach in the third hour of church. Let me tell you, it was an exciting day.

My talk was on the Godhead on how there are three separate and individual beings in the Godhead. Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. It was really nice to prepare that talk because I feel like I learned a lot as I prepared it. You can read my talk here.

My lesson was on a talk from October 2011 conference, "It Is Better to Look Up", by Elder Carl Cook of the Seventy. I remember listening to the talk 6 months ago in my apartment and loving every single second of it, so it was nice to be able to give a lesson on it to the women I go to church with. We talked about how we can gain comfort from the scripture "Believe in God; believe that he is ... ; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth" found in Mosiah 4:9, we talked about how the Prophet can redirect us to look upwards, and we talked about what challenges we face today to keep us from looking up. I loved listening to all the personal experience and thoughts of the woman I go to church with.

I am big on object lessons. So to close my lesson, I had to include one. Last night I went to the store and bought this.


I gave all the women a balloon to represent their burdens and then we went outside to let our burdens be lifted upward. It was fun to see them all watch their balloons float away looking upward, just like the lesson taught.



I know that Heavenly Father has a plan for me and He loves me. He wants the best for me in every way. I need to put my trust in Him, and not just in Him, but in His timing. I know the Jesus Christ lived and died for me so I could live with agency. I am so grateful for the church. And I am so grateful for the knowledge I have. Teaching has been a great calling for me because I learn more every lesson I teach through studying and through listening to the woman in my ward during my lesson.

Love,
Deidre


© Deidre Emme. Design by Fearne and Breezy & Co.